Thursday, May 27, 2010

Reviews - Before and After - Explanation

If you've somehow come across this blog and have read some of my other posts, you may have noticed that I am probably adequate enough when it comes to snark, sarcasm, or any of the other mockery traits that are abound in internet writing. Sure, I can complain about and pick apart things I don't like, but can I write about things that I do like, and can I do it in a way that is interesting? I don't think I can. This section of the blog is me trying to.

For me, writing about music or movies or television or just plain things I like is hard. First, it's really hard for me to not sound pretentious or authoritative. Second, I lack the expertise to really explain what it is that I like about something (I have no formal or even informal training and I've never really tried). So I'm going to try to remedy that first point by being self-aware, and hopefully remedy the second point by doing "Before and After" reviews. Basically, I will review each thing twice. For the "before" part, I will review the movie/music just after watching/listening to it, but also before (get it?) I have read anything about the music/movie or watched any special features or any explanations or blahblahyougettheidea.

Now I'll over-explain the "after" part: Later on, I will write a second review of the thing being reviewed (there's got to be a way to write that shorter; "thing being reviewed" seems kinda clunky). That's right, I'll do this after (note how seamless this all is) I've checked around to see what the experts or the artists themselves have to say about it. I'm going to assume the "after" part will be longer, as I seem to miss things easily or don't view them with the right things in mind or whatever.

Anyway, so that's kinda it: a blank-slate review and synopsis from a novice perspective followed by an attempt at a more accurate and informed review. Just like the rest of this blog and including this post, this will no doubt be boring to anyone who isn't me. But: why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment